Bellingrath Gardens, located in Theodore, Alabama, is a 65 acre garden estate. There are blooms throughout the year and there is a Christmas light display during the holidays. Last weekend we made the trip to Bellingrath to wander the gardens and see the cars at the Camelia Classic. Big S loves his Hot Wheels and we thought he would enjoy seeing the real life Hot Wheels!
Yesterday for Mystery Photo Monday, I asked if you knew where we could see these belles and blooms…you guessed it…Bellingrath!
When you get to Bellingrath, you will purchase your tickets and wander past the azaleas that are currently in full bloom. Past the walkways with the azaleas, you will see the Rose Garden. The Rose Garden is not in bloom right now but my son did spot one little rose in bloom! After you wander the rose garden, take a walk through the Conservatory. In the Conservatory, we spotted a green frog and lots of beautiful flowers.
After the Conservatory we wandered through the Butterfly Garden. Much to Little S’s dismay, we didn’t spot any butterflies.
Suprisingly enough, the kids weren’t really interested in the car show so we just quickly walked through to get to the house. Little S loved the beautiful “princesses” all dressed up in their beautiful gowns.
We decided not to tour the house so we spent time wandering through the gardens and the waterfront. After that we walked on the boardwalk over the Fowl River Bayou. Both kids spied the bridge over Mirror Lake from far away so we had to make sure that we walked the bridge. They spotted huge fish and turtles. At this point, both kids were getting tired so we had planned to go straight to the car until they saw the Asian-American Garden and the beautiful bright red bridge. We spent some time climbing up and down…up and down…and up and down this bridge.
The trip took about 1 hour and 5 minutes from start to finish making Bellingrath a perfect spot for a day trip from Pensacola. We had so much fun on our visit. It was great to spend some uninterrupted family time driving to and from the gardens. We enjoyed the open spaces to run around, the fresh air and the sunshine.
Things to Know Before You Go:
- We all wore flip flops and although my husband and I were fine, Little S had to constantly stop and take things out of her shoes. Put the little ones in tennis shoes!
- When we went, we only visited the gardens. We chose not to tour the house with the little ones (and we have seen it before). We had planned on taking the river boat cruise but when we arrived at noon it was already sold out. If you plan on touring the house or taking the cruise, we advise you get there early in the day.
- There is a small cafeteria style eatery but we just packed a cooler with drinks and snacks to enjoy on the way home.
- There is a coupon in the Gulf Coast Savings Book.
- After visiting the Gardens, we stopped at the Eastern Shore Center, let the kids run through the splash pad, and did some shopping. If you think you might have time, throw a towel and the swimsuits in the car.
- Before you go, check out What’s In Bloom
Bellingrath Gardens is located just a few minutes from Mobile at 12401 Bellingrath Gardens Road, Theodore, Alabama 36582 and the contact numbers are 251.973.2217 or 800.247.8420. See directions from Pensacola. If you make the daytrip over and have some extra time, check out some of the other activities in Mobile. See our other posts about Mobile:
- Fish River Trees – Summerdale, Alabama
- Eastern Shore Center
- Bass Pro Shops
- USS Alabama
- Fort Conde
- Gulf Coast Exploreum
Connect with Bellingrath Gardens on Facebook to keep up to date with what is happening in the Gardens.